Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Sophia-ese

Thank god most people aren't fluent in Sophia-ese. Today's Costco adventure would have been much more embarassing.

Sophia has been fighting a cold lately, making for long nights and sicky days. She's been a trouper for the most part and has been in a great mood. Today we had some errands to do and after a failed nap attempt I decided it was time to go to Costco.

Sophia brought her baby and her bottle and was quite content for about 1/2 hour arranging everything and checking things out.

Then she got tired. One by one she handed nme everything in her cart: baby, bottle, 2 jackets, coupons, diaper bag. When that was done she leaned forward, reached with her hands and started saying "bo!bo!bo!" This is a brand new word and it took me a few minutes to catch up. She was getting more and more insistent and loud.

What did she want? Only her most prized possession in the world, my boobs. Most kids adopt a soother, blankie or stuffie as a lovey. Not Sophia. She'd rather put her hand down my shirt. She does it like I rub earlobes, almost subconsciously. We've talked about how she can only do it at home, only sometimes. Until today she didn't have a word for it. sigh.

Luckily I was able to distract her with some well-positioned Dora junk. crisis averted.

I think I'm going to have to get a lot tougher about this no boob thing. She had no problem weaning from breastfeeding, I wonder how tough it will be to wean her from boob-fondling.

No comments: