Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween Helper

Sophia wasn't interested in wearing a costume and really didn't get what was going on today. Still a bit too young.

After lunch with Hannah and Woohoo, their bad influence convinced me to let her try candy. Good grief. I've never seen her sign a more clear "more please".

When the kids started coming to our door, we encouraged her to come to the door with us and look at everyone. Each time they'd leave, she'd sign for more, wanting more kids to come.

Eventually, I got her to give the candy away. This is big for a kid who can't share. One by one, each child asked her for a candy and my sweet babe placed one piece carefully into their bags. They were charmed by her and it brought out a sweet side to all those menacing goblins at our door.

The top of the bowl was filled with gummy treats, as it got near the bottom, the chocolate emerged. Funniest moment of the night, I hand Sophia a candy to give away, she does. I pass her the next piece (a Twix bar). She looks at it, looks again, and palms it in her other hand and asks for a different piece of candy. My girl was not giving away the chocolate! She is so my daughter.

All night I watched proudly as she would run to the door, grab candy and give it eagerly to the kids waiting. We had about 200 kids come by, and I think she would have liked another 200 after that. She never got tired of them.

She did develop a rating system of her own. Most children got one piece of candy. If a certain child got her attention, she'd slip them an extra piece, or two of candy. Then, there were the scary ones. Fully masked, tall, big kids, no matter what they said or did, would not impress her. When she really didn't like them, she would put the candy into her daddy's hand and make him give them the candy.

I can't wait till she gets to go trick or treating next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gabe is nuts for M&M's.

Just. A. Bad. Thing. To. Introduce.

I think he thinks they are a major food group now.